Can you imagine not being able to access financial records, customer data, contracts, and more? Or worse, learning that your system’s data has been damaged by hardware or software failure, or held hostage by hackers?
Backup and recovery systems are critical for companies of all sizes that are processing and utilizing large amounts of data. It is only a matter of time before a company needs to locate earlier versions of important data. There are four common types of data backup requirements: Full, incremental, differential and mirror. Depending on your needs, the best backup software will create copies of data on a regular schedule that is accessible at any time. Retaining sequential copies of data will allow you to restore to a point in time prior to any corruption or cyberattacks. Some software also copies your data once, and then only backs up the future modifications (instead of taking up precious backup space).
Not all backup solutions are complex and expensive. Database managers may use more than one solution, such as USB devices, disk storage systems, cloud storage or tape drive media. More often than not, off-premise storage or storage on a separate system is highly recommended for obvious reasons. If the system goes down and the backup/recovery data is on the same network – well, then everything is lost.
We examined 3 important backup solutions to give you a better feel for both the positives and negatives that can influence your decision when picking one for your business.
Pros and Cons: 3 Sophisticated Backup & Recovery Solutions
Veeam Backup & Replication™ delivers intelligent Data Management for ALL your virtual, physical, and cloud-based workloads. Through a simple management console, you can manage fast, flexible, and reliable backup, recovery and replication of all your applications and data to eliminate legacy backup solutions forever.
- Reliable solutions with great reporting capability.
- Easy set-up and maintenance.
- Migrating configuration to another server is easy.
- You always know exactly what is being backed up and where it is going.
- Recovery for user data is quick and efficient.
- No daily summary of jobs and is not configurable.
- Complex error messages that make it difficult to diagnose and fix.
- Software updates sometimes cause storage hardware issues.
Barracuda Backup is a software solution designed to back up your files and data on all Microsoft and Linux servers. It’s designed to protect data against any unexpected server crashes or information loss.
- Ransomware protection—without paying the ransom. The software prevents criminals from hold your data hostage by recovering your data in three easy steps. Eliminating the malware, deleting the criminally encrypted files, and restoring a good copy of your valuable data.
- Your systems are restored and running quickly from physical appliances, virtual servers, offsite locations, or the cloud.
- Protects hybrid physical, virtual, and SaaS environments. Barracuda protects your data no matter where it is located.
- Compatible with Microsoft and Linux
- Four backup software packages to choose from
- Telephone and email customer support
- Backed by entire Barracuda Network
- One-step restoration of complete system
- Not compatible with Mac software
- Not usually used by large businesses
- Must pay for 24/7 customer support plan
Rubrik harnesses metadata into a universal ledger, intelligently capturing insights on data changes, user permissions, and access activity. Data management applications exploit this proprietary metadata framework to address governance, compliance, data privacy regulations, ransomware activity, and cloud mobility.
- Computer backup software is virtual and provides very easy set-up.
- The recovery process is instantaneous versus a traditional backup server situation.
- SQL database and recovery are highly regarded by Database Administrators particularly because of the SQL DB mount option, which allows fast data recovery.
- Excellent selection of backup objects, which fit specific needs.
- Provides support for different platforms and operating systems.
- Software upgrades may overwrite settings, which means taking notice and revising.
- Error reporting is not always easy to interpret.
- Simpler recovery of exchange data would improve the system.
- Reports are not generated in real-time.
When You’re Looking for the Best Backup Software
We recommend having a professional assess your situation before jumping into new backup and recovery software. As you can see by the pros and cons of 3 top-rated solutions, much will depend on your current data load and future requirements. Take the guesswork out of the selection by having IT professionals assess and determine the most appropriate solutions for your company.
MicroAge’s IT Professionals Are Ready to Help
Whether you need cloud-based, Windows backup software, or a simpler solution, we’ve got you covered. We would be pleased to provide a free consultation. Give us a call at 1-866-427-6243 or contact us here to schedule your appointment.