Now that cyberattacks have become more and more sophisticated and widespread, it’s hardly surprising that they are the main business concern of Canadian companies according to the Allianz Risk Barometer 2023. Globally, data breaches are the biggest cyber concern (53%) for companies, followed by increasing ransomware attacks (50%), disruption from failure of digital supply chains or cloud/technology service platforms (35%) and increasing malware attacks (28%). Faced with this reality, Canadian businesses must invest more in protection and intrusion detection systems and incident response solutions. How do you optimize network and endpoint security?
How to secure an IT network?
To adequately secure an IT network and protect the integrity of the information stored on it, it is essential to establish a combination of technical and organizational measures. Here are some examples:
- Network segmentation: This security practice consists of dividing a network into distinct and isolated parts to limit the spread of a breach and reduce the risk of compromising data.
- Strong authentication: Recourse to complex passwords and two factor authentication is a solution that guarantees use by authorized users only.
- Network monitoring: Software and monitoring services exist that will analyse alerts in real time and detect suspicious activity, breaches or attempts at unauthorized access.
- Security policies: Companies are advised to establish clear security policies and apply them in a consistent way. This includes standards for pass words, acceptable use of the network, access to critical data, etc.
What happens with endpoints?
Endpoint security is essential for protecting computers, mobile devices and other devices connected to the network against cyberthreats. This consists of:
- Updating and managing patches to correct security vulnerabilities and bugs in applications.
- Real time monitoring and detection of endpoint devices for suspicious activities or malicious intrusion behaviours, data leaks, anomalies or threats.
- Encrypting data into unreadable codes, inaccessible to unauthorized persons.
- User awareness for good endpoint security practices, particularly for identifying phishing emails, protecting pass words and remaining vigilant when opening suspicious files or links.
In essence, cybersecurity must be an ongoing concern to keep pace with constantly evolving threats. It is important to remain vigilant and up-to-date on best practices in the field. It is also highly recommended to have cybersecurity experts conduct audits and network assessments in order to identify vulnerabilities and implement additional measures if necessary.
MicroAge is here to help. Contact one of our representatives who can assist you in developing cybersecurity strategies that apply to your reality.